Monday 4 June 2007

aa - week 12 - more mixing

this weeks task - mix down once more eskimo joe with more stuff !!! (ie compression, fx...) [1]

Once again I headed into the studio to listen to eskimo joe... new york indeed.

I chose a more interesting part of the song, in that it wasn't just chorus but had a bit of outro verse . This made it more difficult; more tracks overall to incorporate, and a bit more excitement to build.

First mix, I panned, adjusted levels, added eq (a lot, but I think I added more as the mixes progressed as well), and compressed the bass and vocals.
ej_eq_comp.mp3

Next up a bit of reverb to the vocals, and exciter to some of the guitar. The reverb I did by sending a number of vocal tracks to aux 1 (this also for compression) and then using a send to aux 2 with the reverb on that (the picture manages to miss the reverb track). I also used a seperate reverb on one vocal channel, this I used as an insert and played with the mix to sit it nicely.
ej_eq_comp_fx.mp3


Finally I tried a bit of mastering, and yes it is louder :)
I don't know why but I think it sounds clearer with a bit of standard compression first, followed by the maxim plug-in.
ej_eq_comp_fx_master.mp3

I did find that I was changing the mix slightly for each version as well, deciding that this guitar was now too loud etc. This picture is from the final mix, with compression and maxim on the master fader.


Oh, and I didn't get to try patching through the real desk, not enough time. Maybe next semester :)

[1] Fieldhouse, Steve. Mixing Basics 2. University of Adelaide, 22 May 2007.

No comments: